Monday, October 19, 2009

Making Applesauce

Autumn is canning season - I'm not really sure that I enjoy bottling food, and sometimes I even wonder if I'll ever use some of the things I bottle.  But applesauce is something that we use to make applesauce meatloaf and of course Grandma Butterfield's Applesauce Snack Cake is a staple at our house.  So when someone left a large burlap sack full of apples on our porch, it had to become applesauce.  David was very helpful in using the apple peeler, in fact he broke it.  Grandma ran into town to buy a new one and we got back on track.Glancing through my canning book, I found a recipe for carmel apple butter, so I even tried out the recipe.  I think it just turned out looking like applesauce, nothing like butter, so it will make a good snack.At the end of the day every surface in my kitchen was sticky.  But the apples are NOT done.  I'm only about 1/2 finished with what we were given.  The rest will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.